We tried Mela's last nite ...
1. When you call on a Saturday evening and they say they don't take reservations except for big groups "but you won't have any problem getting seated for a party of 2" - they are grossly mistaken. We got there at 6:30pm and there was a 1/2 hr -1hr wait and more people continued to pour in the 2 hr we were there.
2. Sit at one of the bars (there are 2 - one looks into the kitchen and it curved and sort of difficult to eat at but good view) and order your food and drink there if there are seats available.
3. Portions are large. If you order 2 appetizers as we did you probably won't be able to eat your entrees. We had a special app of calamari dusted with curry chick pea powder - very good and a spinach salad with the huge cubes of paneer (?) cheese with a sweet sauce - interesting - we brought it home. We split the lamb rogen josh (I know I'm butchering this - sorry) with garlic nan - delicious - again, couldn't finish and brought it home.
Tab for app, salad, 1 entree, 4 dark beers - $52+ tip.
4. My only complaint would be service. Our server was very nice and there were a lot of them but they all seemed to be scrambling around madly. Considering the # of servers versus the # of tables and the amount of time we waited for drink and to order I think they have some front of the house issues to work out. Now that they are off and running they should consider taking reservations for Friday and Sat. nites. Probably also could use some bus people to relieve servers of having to do double duty and maybe an x-tra person at the bar.
5. Have heard from several people that their lunch buffet (I think $8-$9) is excellent.