I had a wonderful and utterly delicious Cantonese dinner at 'Maple Yip' ( Look Yu ) Restaurant at the SE corner of Sheppard/Midland. Our party of 10 ordered a la carte and had the following dishes:
- Soup of the day
- Sauteed live 'head-on' BC spotted prawns with minced garlic and Maggi sauce.
- Fried pepper salt soft shell crabs.
- Steamed fresh 2 lbs 'Strawberry Garoupa' with ginger and scallions.
- Stir fried conch meat with king mushroom, yellow chives and snap pea.
- Sha-Tin style roast pigeons.
- Steamed herbed fish sauce marinated free range chicken.
- Stir fried beef with Chinese broccoli.
- Water spinach with chili and preserved bean curd.
- Fook Kin fried rice.
- Complimentary red bean dessert.
The seafood, we paired with an Alsace Gewurztraminer and an off-dry German Riesling. The meat dishes with a California Zinfandel. No BYOB corkage fee!!
The bill comes to $25 per person all inclusive! What a deal! A must-try for Chowhounds who love authentic Cantonese style cuisine. Reservation a must for the weekend and try to reserve main ingredients eg., live prrawns, pigeons etc.,
Sign up for our newsletter to receive the latest tips, tricks, recipes and more, sent twice a week.