We were 10 days in Madrid. Our first visit. It was beautiful. Most of the restaurants seemed to serve classic Spanish food. We very much enjoyed these 4 innovative places.
1. Quintin - C / Jorge Juan 17. We went twice since it was near our apartment. Good food, pretty, busy, fun and mostly full of locals.
2. Arzabal – we loved this restaurant in the Sofia Reina museum. Reserve in the greenhouse. Beautiful surrounds and everything we had was fantastic.
3. DiverXO – NH Eurobuilding, C/Padre Damian 23. 3 Michelin star. I know this has been around for awhile but we had the best time here. It was culinary theater. Fantastic! Dont miss the drama.
4. Vinoteca Moratin – Calle Moratín, 36. Reserve 2 weeks ahead. Only phone reservations 0034- 911-276-085. Loved the food, coziness and they fact that the owner/chef came to take our orders and told us so much about the menu and his cooking.
Andalucia. We went on a hunt to find and eat the following items. We found most in small restaurants. It was a fun treasure hunt.
1. Dewlap - a fold of loose skin hanging from the neck or throat of an animal, esp cattle.
2. Fried pig head
3. Testiculos del toro
6. Coquinas – exquisite little clams from Cadiz
7. Almadraba bluefin tuna from Cadiz caught in late spring when the fish swim across the Atlantic to the Mediterranean to reproduce. Prized for its exquisite taste and texture: the belly is marbled like the best ibérico ham.
8. Puntillitas – fried tiny baby squid caught in bay of Cadiz.
9. Celler Fernando de Castilla – Calle Jardinillo, 7-11, 11404 Jerez de la Frontera. We missed our reserved time but understand the vinegar here is spectacular.
by Maryse Chevriere | Rosé may be an emblem of summer, but you shouldn't stop drinking pink wine when sweater weather rolls...
by Pamela Vachon | Everything you need to know about shrubs (aka, drinking vinegar). Admittedly, the term shrub is up...
by Chowhound Editors | Cream and mushrooms are a magical combo, and these creamy mushroom recipes celebrate it in all its...
Sign up for our newsletter to receive the latest tips, tricks, recipes and more, sent twice a week.