I'm from Ontario. My late mother used to make a sweet chili sauce which was great on eggs as well as other stuff.
We lost the recipe, but here's what I remember.
- It was not spicy at all, just piquant.
- It had peeled, chopped fresh tomatoes, green peppers, onions and celery.
- One of the first steps in preparing it was that these veggies were salted, then left overnight. I'm pretty sure she drained them of excess juices after that, and before proceeding.
- There was brown sugar and vinegar involved.
- I can remember mustard seeds in it as well, I'm pretty confident.
- It was canned into mason jars.
I'm afraid that's about all I've got. Can anyone help us resurrect this old family recipe?
Thanks in advance,
by Jen Wheeler | At Christmas time, there are cookies galore, but true dessert lovers still crave something more substantial...