in response to a request in another post, here is the link for the NY Health Department restaurant reports:
To use the site:
1. from the home page on the above link, scroll down to the second paragraph from bottom. click on the underlined word "search"
2. Select the desired borough at top (each has a button).
3. scroll down on section at right: enter the name of the particular restaurant. Click on: FIND NAME
the system will do a search for reports on this restaurant.
4. On section at left, click on the underlined name of the restaurant.
5. read the latest report at right.
I have been reading the various boards on chowhound in anticipation of our trip to NYC in September. I narrow the list accordingly, by visiting the health site.
Thanks for the useful info.
Eric in Phoenix