Last nite decided to do a bit of "head to head" comparisons on Taquerias in my neck of the woods. My comparisons are all based on the "standard" "chicken taco with eberything" and a side order of guaacamole & chips:
1) Taco & Burrito Express, approx 2550 N. Halsted just south of B.L.U.E.S....the guac was reasonably flavorful & appealing, some decent size chunks of avocado, not awesome but certainly okay for a Guac jones...just had a bit "brighter" taste than #2 which also wasn't bad
2) Taco & Burrito House...approx 2575 N. Halsted, just south of Kingston Mines. Guac was "very nice" from my notes.
3) Angelas...about 2590 N. Clark. The guac was just too "smashed up"...not as appealing as above.
4) Allende...about 2420 N. Lincoln...one word, NO...very "mayonaisey" and too "creamy".
CHICKEN TACO with EBERYTHING
1) La Bamba "Big as Your Head"...corner Wrightwood & Halsted...when the smoke clears these little jewels just have more taste...and it's kind of unique because there's a "southwestern" hint to it. or "BBQ"...they call it bbq chicken in fact. Small but nice. Number One favorite for the evening
2) Angelas (above)...chicken taco very tasty...they also have a unique taste which I'm not sure I'm crazy about but "head-to-head" they did beat some of the competition. They have a strong garlic in their sauce which I think comes through in the tacos...
3) Taco & Burrito Express...so so...very LARGE size, but not that tasteful.
4) Allende...very so-so.
WELL, this wraps up alot of the Lincoln Park joints. Next will try the Lakeview and Wrigleyville Taquerias and report back on the final "winners"....
After that will stack them up against the Ashland corridor joints, Logan Square, etc.
Note I'm including Taquerias here and not Restaurantes like Lindo Mexico or Nuevo Mexico, Cesars, etcs. Will do those separately.