I have an out of town guest who desires the best sushi LA can offer.
My criteria, in the order of importance..
1) Fresh, fabulous fish that leaves you speechless.
2) No hassle (he is sleep deprived)
3) Not too far (I'm in LAX/Westside)
4) Cooked appetizers (just in case)
5) hip and uniquely "Los Angeles"; people watching is a plus. (though this contradicts with criteria 2/3)
6) $$ -- Matsuhisa is a bit too expensive.
I was thinking about taking him to Echigo (SMBlvd) or Tsukiji (Gardena). The fish is great. Never crowded. But they don't have anything else, and the place is not too exciting.
BTW what do you think of Taiko (Brentwood or Redondo Beach)? And Takao Sushi in Brentwood -- tiny, very good, expensive.. but I haven't been there in a couple of years.
I guess I can always take him to the famed Sushi Nazi and shock him!
Thanks in advance!