This incredibly popular seafood spot is actually 1.5 hour's drive from Kuala Lumpur, past the KL International Airport in Sepang.
Located in a largely Chinese fishing village of Tanjung Sepat, one actually drives past several colorful Chinese Taoist temples before coming onto the seashore. You won't miss Ocen Seafood Restaurant - lines of cars would be parked outside what looked like an otherwise quiet beach, with a long pier called "Lovers' Bridge" by the locals.
The restaurant was cool and breezy, with large fans supplementing the sea breeze. Tables & chairs were rudimentary, plastic bowls, chopsticks & plates, and cheap metal cutlery, were the order of the day here.
But the food was fantastic - the freshest seafood from the Straits of Malacca, expertly cooked and guaranteed to satisfy even the fussiest palate in our lunch party today.
What we had:
- Stir-fried crab "bee hoon" (thin rice noodles), flavored with soy, bean sauce, dried shrimps and other "secret" condiments. Deliciously addictive. Malaysian crabs served here were small but meaty, with sweet, tasty flesh;
- Oyster omelette with scallions. Perfectly-cooked, and went well with the sweetish home-made chilli sauce;
- Crispy batter-fried squid - another must-order dish. I found this absolutely addictive as well, especially with the chilli sauce dip;
- "Sharksfin-style" tofu soup in a claypot, which was eggy, milky-rich and delicious to the last drop. A dash of black vinegar (available on the side) cuts through the richness of the soup and provided a nice tang;
- Prawns in Shaoxing wine-flavoured soup, with julienned vegetables and golden-needle mushrooms. This dish was perfection personified. I couldn't adequately put in words the sheer deliciousness of this dish, except that I'd be willing to travel a hundred miles just for a taste of it again!
Well, now I know what the fuss was all about with regards to this "we *must* go for a seafood lunch in Tanjung Sepat" which KL folks kept bandying about :-D
Ocen Seafood Restaurant
Lot 109, Jalan Laut
42800 Tanjung Sepat
Kuala Langat, Selangor
Tel: +603-31974443 (DID), +6019-3338589 (Mobile)