Named after the lethal curved blade used by Nepali Gurkhas both as a tool & a weapon, Khukri Restaurant in Kuala Lumpur's "Little Nepal" area (behind Kotaraya) serves up a fabulous selection of 100% authentic-tasting Nepali dishes.
My lunch set today ("Khukurako Masu Ra Bhat") consisted of steamed white rice, accompanied by:
- Jhuneko dhal, a very tasty bean curry made from tiny chickpeas (half the size of the usual ones)
- A strong-tasting "gundruk" soup ("gundruk" referred to fermented leafy vegetables gathered from the foothills of the Himalayan mountains. It's Nepal's answer to Korean "kimchi" ore German "sauerkraut", except that "gundruk" is MUCH more strong-smelling, after being mashed, packed into earthenware jars, buried in the ground and left to ferment)
- a Nepali chicken (khukura) curry packed full of flavors. It's more robust and has a smoky taste compared to Indian curries.
- "Tama ko achar" vegetable-pickle salad
- "Dahi", yoghurt-like milk curd
I also ordered a platter of meat-and-vegetable steamed "momo" dumplings, which turned out to be utterly delicious. The skin closely approximates those of Chinese "jiaozu" ( 餃子) dumplings, but I loved the Nepali version more for its "cleaner" flavors and nice crunch from the leeks/cabbage filling which complemented the chicken/pork filling perfectly. Also, the intriguing thick, slight-spicy dip was absolutely fabulous.
The "momos' here was much, much better than those I'd tried in Nepali restaurants in Singapore. Whereas Nepali restaurants in Singapore catered to a mixed crowd, with a sizeable Nepali clientele thrown in, the Nepali restaurants in KL catered to an almost exclusively Nepali customer base, which probably explained its authenticity and larger menu selection. Utterly delicious food! I am definitely coming back here for more.
No.26 (First Floor)
Jalan Tan Tun Siew Sin (Jalan Silang)
50050 Kuala Lumpur
Tel: +603 2072 0663
by Chris Rochelle | Do you carry hot sauce with you wherever you go? Squirt Sriracha on everything? Chow down on chili...
by Laurie Wilson | If you're just not ready to let go of summer but you can hear the bloody school bell ringing in the...
by Chowhound Editors | Our best raspberry tart recipe is bursting with ripe fruit, ridiculously easy to make, and perfect...
Sign up for our newsletter to receive the latest tips, tricks, recipes and more, sent twice a week.