Hello to all N. Fla hounds! I've been away for awhile, so here's the mezzrow update.
On the recent rotation:
1. New Thai buffet on the Westside - Thai Star on Cassat at Kerle St. - close to Normandy Blvd. 7.95 lunch buffet Mon/Sat 11 to 2 - stews, curries, soups, pad thai, thai fried rice, jasmine rice, fresh spring rolls, also thai sweet sticky rice & sweet fruit custards, etc. for dessert. Murder - really nice folks who just cook up a storm. If you go for Friday lunch, you'll probably see me and my posse. Go.
2. Blue Boy hasn't moved - Norwood, Ft Caroline, and Downtown - highly recommended - justifiably legendary. These folks know what a sandwich shop should be.
3. Al's Pizza in Riverside - nice new location, but crazy busy. Try the calzone w/ steak, onions, and cheese - yup, it's a cheese-steak calzone, or as I like to call it, God's own Calzone. I want one. Now.
4. I haven't thumped on behalf of La Nopalera until they cleaned their act up. Well, they did. Good, cheap Mexican - San Marco, Regency, and Orange Park. Just ask a local or ask here - we'll send you. Try a lunch #6 - guac/sour cream on top of a salad w/ tomato on top of a beef chimi on top of beans and rice. Or, ask for the fajita nachos, but you better go hungry (hehehe).
5. Mojo's at University/San Jose shopping area in the Lakewood area - good Q in all styles. Carolina chopped or Ga/Fla pulled pork, ribs, brisket, texas style red hots, and excellent country sides and starters w/ country fried steak or chicken. A half dozen decisions on sauces (carolina vinegar, sweet, hot, mustard, chipotle, and if you ask, they'll pull out some white sauce if they've got any around) Cheerwine for carolina boys and girls who have to have it.
I can't put in any tips for the beach or northside - jump in if you will, local hounds.