i'm traveling with my wife and 9 year old daughter to Istanbul in mid Fall. I've found Chowhound archives to be an incredible source of reviews and info. Hopefully you Istanbul experts can steer me in the right direction for a few very specific needs.
We are staying in Beyoglu, very near Galata Tower.
1. Ice cream. I understand that Istanbul has a very specific style of ice cream somewhere between the richness of gelato and the texture of taffy. Any recos? I assume you can find this stuff all over.
2. As we are missing Halloween here at home, I want to treat my daughter to a candy store extraordinaire. We will be travelling to the Spice Market and also to the Grand Bazaar. But i'm looking for something candy specific. IF there was a Turkish Delight factory or a candy factory, it would be a dream come true. If not what about a candy lovers shop? Something very Turkish, of course.
3. Our trip falls on my wife and my anniversary. I'm looking for a place that fits these criteria:
- Old world Istanbul, both in decor and menu
- Opulent, regal and beautiful without being stuffy, formal or expensive.
- Casual attire ( no jacket required )
- Kid friendly. She's 9, urbane and sophisticated. Great restaurant manners.
- Extra points for views and fish!
4. Perhaps this is the impossible request: Bosphorus dining? as in ON A BOAT? If the food was exceptional, I'd do this as the anniversary dinner.
Thanks so much everyone!
10 Wardour St, London, England W1D 6, United Kingdom