Tonight, I had a most impressive Cantonese dinner at Markham's "Fung Lam Court".
Our meal featured a number of 'Nostalgic Classic Cantonese' dishes that tasted as good if not better than some of Hong Kong's best!!
- 'Old Fire' slow cooked "Pig's Lung with Almond milk and Bok Choy Soup" - so milky, dense, umami filled and good!
(This, I swear, is better than the pre-ordered one from HK's iconic "Luk Yu Tea House. IMHO, the best tasting Chinese soup in the GTA, period!). FYI, a close up photo of a 'spongy and delicious Pig's Lung piece! Yum! Nothing to be afraid of!!
- 'Stirred fry Pig's Liver with Free Range Chicken'
(The wok-hay, taste and execution, especially pertaining to the perfectly cooked pig's liver, was as enjoyable as HK's famous Tso Choi Koon ).
- 'Mutton Hot-Pot with Yuba Skin, Preserved Brown Bean Curd and Dong Gwai Herb'
( Great comfort food for this cold weather - as good as HK's best Dai Pai Dong offering! ).
- 'Coconut Milk, Taro and Wind Dried Preserved Duck Hot Pot'
( Great unique tasting dish with an amazing sauce that paired well with crusty French Baguette! ).
- 'Taro Paste and Shrimp Pancake'
( Crispy, mushy and aromatic. Lovely textural feel and taste. Brought back fond Childhood family meal memories).
- 'Braised double cooked Pork Belly with Chinese Preserved Mustard Greens'. Good but not as great as Maple Yip's!
Though predominantly 'meat' dishes, however, the food paired extremely well with an off dry 2010 Alsatian Gewurztraminer and a 2011 German Mosel Riesling.
About time this Chinese Restaurant get some genuine recognition from the 'food media'!