Last night, my dining group made a foray into Alhambra to try out the Hunan cuisine at Hunan's restaurant. We ordered a total of 9 different dishes and we definitely chowed down. For the most part, I'd say that the dishes were hit and miss. Either I really liked a particular dish a lot or there would be something I probably would never order again.
The three standouts for me included the following:
* Toss-Fried Mutton with Cilantro - The mutton was tender and upon taking the first bite, the dish didn't seem that spicy, but then it does give you a zing on your palate after swallowing. I also liked the grassiness of the cilantro.
* Toss-Fried Chicken with Hot Sauce - Everything just came together, the heat, the texture, the flavor!
* Steamed Hunan Style Spicy Fresh Fish (Whole) - This fish was awesome. The meat was moist and delicate plus the sauce really complemented the fish meat as opposed to overwhelming it.
The two dishes I would skip over are:
* Three Flavored Dumplings - Not much flavor here. In fact, these dumplings were beyond bland.
* Eggplant & Ground Pork with Pickled Vegetables - Normally, I love eggplant, but this dish was way too salty for my taste.
Overall, I would make my way back to Hunan's Restaurant again. There were a lot of items on the menu I wasn't able to try this time, but would like to another time and hopefully, I'll have even more hits than last night.
To see pics, go to:
903 W. Valley Blvd.
Alhambra, CA, 91803
Updated 1 year ago | 4
Updated 9 months ago | 10
Updated 10 months ago | 5
Updated 1 year ago | 1
Updated 2 months ago | 3