When it is cold ousitde and snow is falling like today, what is better than a great hot drink to cheer you up and make you slacken and relax. Here are 2 of my favorites hot concoctions for the holiday season ; The eggnog and the Hot cider.
And what is seriously more fun than watching some movies with a cup of your favorite hot beverage in front of the fireplace with the smell of the fresh cut Christmas tree. Ah! perfect setting.
-When we are entering the holidays, i am big on eggnog. It is a once a year treat. This recipe is a bit lighter than the usual ones that tend to be to richer for my own taste.
1 quart of reduce fat milk such as 2%
1 cup of egg substitute (egg beaters)
1 onces of Brandy
3 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
How to make it
1. In a large bowl, beat together all the ingredients.
2. Beat for 5 minutes until foamy.
3. Cover and refrigerate until chilled.
4. Serve in cup and ad a pinch of nutmeg
15 minutes to make
- I usually make hot cider when putting the Christmas lights outside or when decorating the tree inside. A perfect companion.
2 qts. unsweetened apple cider
1 (6 oz.) can frozen orange juice concentrate, thawed & undiluted
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/4 cup honey
2 sticks cinnamon
1 1/2 teaspoon whole cloves
1 easpoon coriander seeds
1 whole nutmeg
1 1/4 cup dark rum or brandy
How to make it
1. Combine first 8 ingredients in a large saucepan
2. Cook over medium heat until hot, stirring frequently.
3. Reduce heat and simmer for 15-20 minutes.
4. Remove and discard cinnamon sticks, cloves, coriander seeds, and nutmeg.
5. Stir in the rum.
6. Cook over medium heat until thoroughly heated.
7. Pour into mugs. If desired, garnish with cinnamon sticks and orange slices.
The cider can be refrigerated for a week in a container.
30 minutes to make
What are your favorite holiday drink ?
Be merry !