As part of my annual canning rampage, I have always made hot pepper jelly. Problem is, it requires adding pectin, and no matter what recipe I've tried, the commercial pectin has delivered me a vaguely rubberized product. Not terrible, not inedible, just stiff in a way I don't care for in a jelly.
This year, I decided to experiment. I found a recipe for homemade pectin cooked down about 7 pounds of crabapples, strained out the juice & reduced it by half. Then substituted the homemade pectin in the recipe (from the same book that had the recipe for making pectin; notes warned against trying to substitute homemade for commercial in the recipes).
I put up the jelly last night. This morning, tilting a jar lightly revealed a jelly of ideal consistency. Now I just need to bake up some biscuits!