Located right next to Scarborough's famous Maple Yip, this relatively new Cantonese seafood restaurant, IMHO, will give its celebrated neighbor a serious run for their money!
Arriving early, we were greeted by one of the friendliest lady server ever to look after us. The place was bright and roomy with pictures and banners of house specialties plastered all over the walls! Looks like this form of display is the norm amongst Scarborough Chinese restaurants!! Interesting??!!
Before ordering, we were informed of their current special. Any order resulting in the bill being over $38, one can order their $13 roasted pigeon for $1....!!!!!! That is one hack of a deal!!
Our meal consisted of the following dishes:
- Complimentary Soup-of-the-day ( Pork with carrots and turnips ).
- Hand held, oil poached fried free range chicken.
- Deep fried jumbo oysters with honey sauce.
- Braised goose web with Chinese mushroom in abalone sauce.
- Stirred fry glutinous rice with diced Chinese wind-dried meats, sun dried
shrimps, Chinese mushrooms and cilantro.
- Hand held fried/roasted whole pigeon
- Complimentary dessert ( Sweet pumpkin, taro and sago rice soup )
Though no single dish manageD to deliver a 'wow' factor. However, the majority of dishes were above average in their taste and execution and manage to outshine quite a few of their Markham/Richmond Hill competition. Only disappointment was the free range chicken, which was a bit dry and overcooked.
Two dishes did deserve a special honorary mentioning. The delicious and grease-less stirred fry glutinous rice with over generous ingredients and the perfectly cooked crispy skin and unexpectedly 'juicy' pigeon!! The latter, one of the best rendition in the GTA.
Overall, a satisfactory and very reasonable priced meal. For sure I will be back to sample more of their specialties.
Lastly, it would be interesting to keep a close eye on how these two neighbors 'slug it out'!!!