My iRoast2 has suddenly developed a severe illness (getting hot, but not hot enough). Apparently the manufacturer has not been shipping units or parts in a good while. So it is time to shop around for a new roaster. Here are some of my parameters:
- My budget is not unlimited. Having said that, I will pay for quality and definitely want to avoid machines that do not roast well, are poorly made, etc. I know I will probably end up spending some hundreds of dollars. I just don't want to spend more than I have to.
- I tend to roast in small batches, as there is one coffee drinker in my household.
- My coffee roasting preferences tend towards the lighter end of the spectrum. I rarely go far beyond second crack and there are plenty of times that I stop before then.
- I do enjoy natural-process coffees, so it is important to be able to successfully deal with chaff.
- I also sometimes roast coffees whose bean size is small. (This is an issue with some models.)
- Programmability is fun but not required.
So, fellow hounds, what machines do you suggest? I will be very grateful for your advice. Please do not recommend roasting on a pan on the stove or a popcorn popper. I know about these options and they are not for me.