Mom was in town, and we did some additional dining. Brief reports:
1. Angelini - even better than previous visits. superb meal. without a doubt the best italian in LA
2. Cheebo - dufus hipster vibe, food was tres mediocre. "porkwich" was overstuffed and bland, pizza was virtually inedible - bad tomato sauce, gummy cheese. crust was ok (foccacia like), but with toppings like that who cares.
3. Gyu-Kaku (lacienega branch) - always enjoy my meals here (kids love it). maybe its not as good as korean joints, but more fun and closer to home.
4. Din Tai Fun - stopped on way to desert, fantastic meal as usual. juicy pork dumplings, fried rice, won ton soup, pea shoots. everything is so fresh and clean. even my germophobe wife liked it and would return.
5. LG's Steakhouse, Palm Desert. Don't waste your money. We had a gift certificate, which made the experience fine, but go to Morton's or Ruth's Chris in PS if you want steak. The vaunted Caesar salad was totally overdressed, swimming and dripping in a very bland olive oil. My steak, the signature aged porterhouse, was tough and flavorless. My wife's filet was excellent, though. The creamed spinach was runny and bland. Deserts were equally poor - ice cream tasted re-frozen (icy). Corkage was a lofty $20, and they have crappy stemware. BTW, this restaurant has perhaps the most overpriced wine list in the country. A 1996 Clos du Marquis (LLC second wine), which can be found retail for under $40, was $395!!! And that's just one example.
6. Spencer's, Palm Springs. Designed by Dodd Mitchell in old PS Tennis Club, has a very cool vibe. Food was overly ambitious, and didn't deliver. Avoid.
Happy New Year!