After living in Chicago for a year and a half, I'm somewhat embarrassed to admit that I intend to try Harold's fried chicken for the first time tonight. My slight (and inexplicable) aversion to fried chicken is part of the cause, as is not living near enough to an outlet. But enough recrimination, the drought is due to end and I want to be sure I do it right.
I will be getting the goods from the outlet at 636 S. Wabash and then I will be taking them north on the red line with a travel time of about 45 minutes. In light of these logistics, I have the following questions:
1. What should I order (and in what quantities) to slake the hunger of two carnivorous chow hounds?
2. Is the preferred "dousing of everything with hot sauce" still preferred in light of the 45 minute travel time?
3. Does cole slaw come automatically with the chicken, or must it be ordered separately?
4. Are there any other side dishes that are not to be missed?
5. What is the recommended libation to accompany Harold's fried chicken?
I'm getting hungry just thinking about it now. Thanks in advance for sharing the fruits of your knowledge with me.
Gratefully and hungrily,