6 of us tried Hardy's Bavaria (German-Austrian food) 111 W. Evelyn Ave Ste 108, Sunnyvale. 408-720-1531 for the first time. I tried calling the restaurant to make reservations but nobody picked up at 11am, 3pm, 5pm even though they are supposed to be open from 11am-10pm Tu-Fri, 5-10pm Sat. Closed Sun & Mon. Was thinking maybe it's closed or they're on vacation. We decided to meet there and see if it'll be open. There was some kind of free street music happening that evening, so parking was a little difficult.
We found parking across the street, they do have a lot next to their restaurant which we didn't see until later. The place was Open, went in and heard a horrible noise which was the fire alarm. They warned us that they were having problems w/ the fire alarm and if we'd mind sitting outside. The place was empty and we waited at the bar for the rest of the people to show up. Ben ordered the Erdinger beer-he thought it was very delicious. Friend K. tried the Kostritz Schwarz Bier-a dark beer and he liked it.
Group shows up and then they seat us Indoors-we took our chances w/ the fire alarm going off-good thing it didn't.
Bread soon came to the table:dark rye, good but someone said little too sour for his taste.
ordered two appetizers:
1.sausage sampler-a variety of sausage cut into bites for everyone to sample. $6.95 It was tasty, lots of meat w/ sauerkraut.
2. smoked salmon filet-house cured & smoked w/ potato pancakes & Lingonberries $8.95. It was a hit, very tasty. Potato pancakes-very good, like hashbrowns but more moist.
Dinner entrees we got 6 and shared them. All entrees come w/ soup & salad. Soup was a navy bean soup in a tomato base w/ some ham-ok.
Salad-ok, I liked the peppers-which tasted marinated but still crunchy.
1. Tiroler Semmeliknodel-(Austrian dish) bread dumpling in a ragout of shitake, Champignons & oyster mushrooms. Ben and K. liked it. $8.95
2. Geraucherte Schweinshaxe-shredded ham shank skinless & trimmed of all fat w/ sauerkraut $14.95
Ami and Ben liked it.
3. Sauerbraten-round of beef marinated & roasted, served w/ potato pancake & red cabbage $13.95
4. Schweinebraten-roast pork loin seasoned w/ Caraway & Marjoram, potato dumpling $13.95
5. Kassler Rippchen-smoked pork loin chops w/ sauerkraut & potato pancakes $15.50
K. and Ben liked
6. Bauernschmaus-sauerkraut garnished w/ smoked pork chop, roast pork, bratwurst & dumpling $15.50
Dessert we all shared:
Apfelstreudel-Apple Streudel w/ rainbow like sherbert and whipped cream. Very nice. Apples were hot, light crust, not too sweet.
Overall, meal was good but not great. If you're into meats and beer it's a good place to go. I wasn't that impressed and all the dishes all blended together so all I felt I had was lots of meat and potatoes.
Everyone ended up paying $28 each--because we ordered lots of food and beer. Plenty of leftovers that others took home. Most of my pics didn't come out due to low amount of light in the restaurant.