What's better than finding a good Thai restaurant in the middle of Hamburg? It's probably having a Thai friend along who can communicate with the restaurant staff and ask specifically for the food to be prepared to suit "Thai tastes", not the Euro-trashed version they churn out for their local clientele.
We practically got the full Thai chilli blast:
- Thai appetisers were perhaps the only non-spicy items to hit our table that evening: deep-fried minced pork on toasts, prawn-filled spring rolls, crispy noodles wrapped around minced pork-prawn balls.
- the stir-fried chicken with green Thai peppercorns, the Scoville count further scaled with the addition of prik kee noo (bird's eye chillis) and sliced red & green chillis, was totally, mind-blowingly delicious!
- beef green curry (gaeng kaew wan neau) was supplemented with generous slivers of green & red chillis on top. Coconut creme came out of a can, not fresh - but we're in Northern Europe, so I guess we have to make do with that;
- Yam woonsen - the mung bean noodle salad came with pork and very fresh prawns. The salad was bright red with all the red chilli puree used to dress it, together with strong nam pla (fish sauce) & more prik kee noo. It was hellishly good;
- Som tum was made using grated carrots instead of hard-to-procure green papayas here, but was fantastic nonetheless. The waitresses were from Isaan province in Thailand, and they told us the chef who prepared the som tum was, too - and som tum is a regional specialty of Isaan province;
- Grilled beef with raw onions, chillis, toasted ground rice & parsley dressing was passable;
- Desserts were mainly ice-cream - avoid the coconut (ka-ti) ice-cream. It tasted of powdered coconut (yeck) & coconut slivers used were obviously frozen then thawed before serving. Bland & tasteless.
Overall, great, great chilli-hot Thai meal - as authentic as it can get in Germany, perhaps.
Tel: 040 335009
Updated 11 months ago | 6
Updated 5 months ago | 0
Updated 1 year ago | 5
Updated 2 months ago | 12
Updated 25 days ago | 14