after going to japan this summer, i became obsessed with green tea matcha lattes, but it was a struggle trying to find convenient places in the city that made them. but now all of a sudden there seems to be this matcha boom, and it's never been easier to get your hands on a cup.
I was curious to know what people's thoughts were on their favorite matcha lattes? I've been to 5 different places so far, and i was wondering if the other stores in the grub street article were worth checking out, specifically maman and ground support. Here's my ranking of the 5, which will likely change as i try more matcha lattes
1. Cafe Matcha Wabi in the east village - i thought this one tasted the closest to the ones i've had in japan. slightly sweet, thick and creamy
2. Takahachi Bakery in Tribeca, a close second, although maybe a little too sweet
3. Bosie Tea Parlor in West Village, liked the very thick texture of this one, and how they go easy on the sweeteners. the bitter matcha flavor is also more apparent. i guess i rank this 3rd because i like the sweeter, less bitter versions, but it is very high quality.
4. Chalait in West Village. something about this place irritated me and the latte wasn't all that memorable
5. Harney and Sons in Soho, this was completely unsweetened and intense, i felt like i was drinking unsweetened, slightly bitter soy milk