Chowhound Presents: Table Talk with with Michelle Tam of Nom Nom Paleo | Ask Your Questions Now ›

General Discussion

Help Me Identify

A Great Steak, but what is its name in your area?


General Discussion 32

A Great Steak, but what is its name in your area?

FoodFuser | Nov 12, 2006 05:22 AM

There is a cut of steak that I've not seen discussed on CH. Its name engenders immediate confusion. In my area it is sold as "Delmonico", but it is NOT a ribeye or a strip (the cuts more widely called Delmonico). It is instead the tip three inches of the chuck where the portion known as "chuck tender" meets up at the anterior end of the ribeye portion of the loin ribeye. I can find no pics of it on the web, and its nomenclature is totally swamped with synonyms.

It has a diameter of about 4" (since it is the tapered end of the chuck fillet), always sold at least 1" thick. The muscle strands are bunched and chewy, but each fiber bundle of 2-3 mm separates readily. It's a loose chew, somewhat like the unrelated hanger steak; not at all like the homogenous compact chew of the thinner bundles of a strip steak. There are 2 or 3 small veins of connective silverskin and fat.

Does anyone know this cut? What is it called in your area?

There are only 2 cuts of this per carcass, one per side of the animal, from each apical end of the chuck fillet.

If anyone else eats this cut, and agrees that it's one of the best, could you share a pic or a better description so that we may be better informed?

Here's a nice site for pics of steak cuts, but "my Delmonico" is not pictured:

Want to stay up to date with this post?

Recommended From Chowhound