Occupying the same space as the iconic but now defunct ' Dragon Dynasty ', this relatively new kid on the block is capturing quite a huge audience as well as substantial business from local competitors. With the addition of gold trimmed pillars and crystal chandeliers as major components to the decoration. These, plus the relatively high ceiling and bright, cavernous space indeed evoke a sense of ' grandeur ' to the front-of-house....at least by Chinese restaurants standard.
Arriving at 6.30 pm for our reserved table, we were pleasantly surprised that they have located us into a fairly intimate and slightly more quiet semi-private room.
Our group of 8 adults had the following dishes:
- Barbecue Suckling Piglet and marinated jelly fish platter.
- Poached free range chicken with Rose essence premium soy
- Stirred fried beef with Satay sauce and Gai Lan ( Chinese Kale )
- Braise Goose Web with Chinese Shitake Mushrooms
- Sweet & Sour Pork with Fresh Pineapple
- Stirred fry Chinese Lettuce with fermented bean curd and chili
- Steamed Dungeness Crab over prawn fried rice.
- Complimentary desserts ( Red Bean Soup, Coconut pudding and mini-sesame doughnuts ).
With only a $5 BYOB charge, our total bill ended up to be only $24 per person, all inclusive! This, IMHO, for such relatively high quality and well executed food is an extremely great deal!
For a Chinese restaurant, service tonight was extremely attentive, courteous and professional.
The following are some of the high-light dishes of our enjoyable meal:
- Rose essence premium soya sauce poached Free Range Chicken
Ever since the iconic ' Fantasy Eatery ' has closed its doors, I have not had a well prepared and tasty Rose essence soya sauce Free Range Chicken around town...until this rendition comes along! Perfectly cooked with well balance and complex seasoning. A master piece. No wonder ours is the last available chicken for the evening....and its only 6.30 pm!
- Stirred fried beef with Taiwanese Satay Sauce and Gai Lan ( Chinese broccoli )
A delicious 'wok-hay' specimen! The beef was tender with deep multi-layered flavor profile.. So was the perfectly timed vegetable.
- Crispy Sweet and Sour Pork with fresh Pineapple
This was an extremely nice and well executed Sweet & Sour Pork dish using fresh Pineapple. The pork ,retaining its crispiness almost all the way to the end.... result of the chef's not cutting corner and perform the necessary ' double frying '. The well seasoned sauce was not overly tangy.
- Braised Goose web with Chinese Shitake mushrooms in oyster sauce.
Sorry, 'Maple Yip'...but this rendition. possessing certain delightful nuance and taste profile of some of Hong Kong's best, beats your version by a few yards. Those goose webs were tasty, tender and HUGE!
A few minor disappointments included the slightly stingy size, but still delicious, Steamed Crab fried rice and the crunchy but overly fatty BBQ suckling piglet skin pieces, ..the result of some sub-par knife work?
One additional down side. Even though our dinner was at 6.30 pm, the place was already packed...resulting in 'sold-out' of a lot of their house special dishes like the famous Cantonese Roasted Duck, Yellow Fin Grouper...etc.
A definitely worthy candidate for multiple return visits....if only their location is closer to my home! Sigh!