I'll be honest, I'm about to give up on Florida as a source for interesting and un-commercialized seafood. That is pretty sad considering Florida's proximity to the sea. Yet all I find are deep fried grouper sandwiches and hushpuppies!
Before I totally throw in the towel, I'd like to see if Chowhound foodies can come to the rescue!
Here is what I am looking for. I'll take something close!
1. Central Florida area, either coast or in the swamp is fine.
2. A dive, hole-in-the-wall, ramshackle place that would send chills down the spine of the non-adventure eater. If I have to hit dirt road before I get there, all the better.
3. A place that actually serves seafood that can be found in and around the waters of Florida. Oysters, Blue Crab, Clams, Frogs Legs, Grouper, Cat Fish, Mullet, Mahi Mahi, Conch, Snapper, Shark, Snails, Turtle, Gator (not bites), etc. (I know.. not all seafood)
4. What about a seafood joint that doesn’t have sandwiches. Why must all seafood in Florida be mashed between hamburger buns?
5. No damn hushpuppies!
6. No burgers!
7. No Alaskan crab legs.... if I want Alaskan crab I'll go there and eat it.
8. No website...
OK.. I think I've ranted enough. Anyone got any ideas? Does a place like this exist in Florida?