Restaurants & Bars 2

French word for serving food under a dome: "delouchez"?

Tipmeister | Feb 18, 2005 09:05 PM

This is a question for anyone who has gone to or worked in a nice French restaurant:

A friend of mind in the restaurant biz referred to the act of taking the silver dome off a tray and presenting the dish to the customer tableside as "delouching" or "to delouchez." In the best French restaurants, I hear, all the waiters are supposed to do this at the same time so everyone is served simultaneously.

Since I don't speak French, I'm clearly not getting the word right, and the spelling is probably completely wrong. Does anyone know what this word actually is, what it means, or what its origins are? I need this quickly for a food criticism project and I'll bet some Chowhounds out there know the answer. Thank you!


Want to stay up to date with this post?

Recommended From Chowhound