I usually listen to the Food Schmooze on its Saturday re-run. Today Chris Prosperi spoke of an interesting technique for spare ribs. Essentially it was:
1. A simple rub (salt, pepper, smoked paprika, onion powder) on the ribs.
2. Ribs go into a Ziploc bag, squeezing out air.
3. Slow cooker halfway filled with water.
4. Ziploc bag goes into the water.
5. Slow cooker on high for 10 hours.
6. Remove ribs from bag, brush with BBQ sauce and broil for a few minutes.
I'm curious about the safety of using Ziploc bags in a slow cooker, especially on high. Google reveals a discussion about boiling in Ziploc bags, and that it's not recommended as the softening point of the plastic is around 195 degrees. I've never measured the liquid temperature of slow cooker contents while on high....
Anyway - on the taste side of things - has anyone tried this?