Whenever there's a post asking for a fishmonger in the Burbank/SFV area, Fish King is a name that commonly comes up.
I've frequently recommended that place, because the selection is pretty good and wide but the prices are decently high. I've only recently REALLY started going to Fish King, and I wanted to know what everybody buys there?
Here's my experiences.
- They'll fry up anything they have in the market (apparently?). They had soft shell crabs for 5.99/ea. We had a bunch of these fried up and they were delicious - changed my opinion on soft shelled crabs entirely.
- sashimi is at market rate. They'll slice it up for you for free. This works out to ~11/half pound, which equals 6-10 slices of fish. A pretty good deal but a small variety.
- halibut crunch sandwich was pretty good, but not $9 good
- The poke here is not good - they premake it and it sits there for who knows how long. The poke materials really break down the fish and the texture becomes way off.
- Stuff is EXPENSIVE. The shrimp here were $14.99/pound, +$2/pound charge for cleaning. In comparison, I got U-15 shrimp from Costco for $10.99/pound, cleaned.
- 1 pound of lump crab meat in a can (chicken of the sea brand) was ~$34. the same brand, same size at costco was $16
- sashimi grade fish was priced pretty good - $26 or so for ahi, $18 for albacore (great deal/taste), $22 for farmed salmon, and $25 for scallop
- oysters were unbelievably expensive. $1.50 - $1.80 each, add an additional $.50 each for opening if you want to eat there
I think I'll stick to the specials @ the galley + sashimi grade fish.
soooooo what do you guys usually get here?