Restaurants & Bars

Boston Area

Fasika - Strange...


Restaurants & Bars 8

Fasika - Strange...

Beach Plum | Apr 10, 2007 09:05 AM

Last Wednesday was my boyfriend's birthday and he decided he'd like to try Ethiopian food. I had read about Fasika on this board and thought it would fit the bill. I checked their web site and saw that they open at 5 p.m., which worked for me because I get out of work downtown at 5. Remember, last Wednesday was the day it was slushing out. Very unpleasant.

We got to the restaurant at 5:20 and there were two people sitting at the bar talking to the bartender. They were all very friendly, but the bartender told us they were a little slow in the kitchen that night, so could we come back in half an hour. He said the cook was still chopping food. Neither my boyfriend nor I drink, so we headed back out into the cold, wet muck. We came back half an hour later and the bartender said they still weren't ready yet, but he seated us at a table and brought us soft drinks on the house for while we waited. The only other people in the place were the two people at the bar.

So we waited. And waited. The big screen TVs (one in the bar, and one in the restaurant) were on loud, and the ambience was non-existent. I suppose if we were sitting at the bar, we wouldn't have felt so out of place, but we stay away from bars. From where I was sitting, I could see into the kitchen. The Ethiopian woman who was in there didn't seem to be cooking or chopping any food at all. We couldn't hear any cooking noises, and I saw her picking up pots and pans and shrugging her shoulders. It looked like she was either looking for something or like she had no idea what she was doing in the kitchen. After half an hour, she came out to us and told us that she was sorry we had to wait, but that the waitress was very late. We expected her to take our orders herself, but she just turned and walked back into the kitchen. Then she made a phone call and spoke very animatedly to the other person, all the while, picking up pots and shrugging her shoulders.

We gave her 10 minutes during which time nothing changed. We thanked the bartender for the drinks, and left. It was 6:30.

What was that all about?!!! I understand that unforeseen circumstances can throw everything off, but why didn't they just tell us up front, instead of having us wait for nothing? I wonder how long it would have taken them to let us know what was going on. I don't know if we'll ever go back.

Want to stay up to date with this post?

Recommended From Chowhound