Chowhound Presents: Table Talk with Yotam Ottolenghi and Helen Goh of Sweet: Desserts from London's Ottolenghi | Ask Your Questions Now ›


Can someone explain what the different shaped pans are for?


Cookware 11

Can someone explain what the different shaped pans are for?

akmike | Aug 29, 2012 08:50 AM

Wasn't real sure how to phrase my question with only a few words in the subject line..... Sorry for the basic / dumb questions. I have not been able to find good explanations.... If this has been covered before, or you know of a good place for me to look, please let me know.

I'm about to place an order for some cookware and while surfing through the different manufacturer's listing of pot / pans, I can't help but wonder what their intended use / functions are.

Whenever I grab a piece of cookware to use, the only thing I'm contemplating is just how big the pan needs to be for whatever it is I happen to be cooking. I mean other than the common sense stuff, like using a fry pan to fry an egg or use a stock pot to boil water anyway.

For your reference, I have been comparing different pot/pans from the M'Cook line and Demeyere lines...

A couple pans I noticed that I've not ever seen before are the Saucier and Windsor. They look handy enough with the tapered sides, but what are they for???

What's the difference between a large saute pan and low casseroles pan of the same shape / size?? One has two handles and the other has one handle, but are they constructed the same and cook the same way?

What about the dutch oven, it looks just like a casserole pan to me. Is it different?

I've been reading that an encapsulated bottom is preferred over a multi clad type pan for cooking some things. I don't quite understand this. Why would you not want a pan to have a thicker side?


Want to stay up to date with this post?

Recommended From Chowhound