I live in Long Beach, but I dont eat there
Well, its not like how it sounds. I dont go out to eat much in Long Beach, I love to cook! I spend most of my time at home cooking
its only when Im out running about do I tie in my Chow adventures
But last weekend I had a golden opportunity and two hungry guys to feed! So I finally got a chance to try Joggenwaards Bake and Broil!
Located in Long Beach on Atlantic, right off the 405 Freeway is this little dinner. Its SMALL, just a few crowded booths and one large counter. We were lucky and scored counter seats on a VERY busy Saturday afternoon. The staff is young, but genuinely friendly, the vibe is quiet, neighborhood joint. And most importantly the pies and cakes look FANTANSTIC!!!
But first Lunch
* Chili: I choose this instead of the Salad with my Macaroni and Cheese. Definatly home made, it could have used a bit more Kick, but it went wonderful with their Fresh Baked cornbread! Yum!!
* French Onion Soup: Not a Fancy version, they place a slice of cheese and melt it on top, but still wonderfully sweet and not too beefy
* Clam Chowder: The best of the soups. Very rich and creamy and BRINEY Clam lovers would adore this!
* Baked Macaroni and Cheese w/ Ham: This is what I ordered. I just love Mac & Cheese. This version was a bit mushy and a bit bland though. Could have used a few shakes of hot sauce. The crust was nice and cheesy and the ham was just big enough to add some flavor and texture without it being too hammy. BF enjoyed it.
* Albacore and Avocado Salad w/ Honey Mustard Dressing: Large VERY fresh salad with buttery avocado and a scoop of Tuna salad on top. The star however was the dressing Home made, absolutely studded with herbs and full of REAL flavor and creaminess. It was this little touch that set Bake N Broil apart even from Panns as my new favorite casual diner
* Hamburger: This beauty has come up even on Best Burger polls here and it certainly didnt disappoint. It was VERY similar to the Pie N Burger burger, but the patty was bigger and it was quite CHEAPER! My brother ordered it, so I dont know if they cook the burgers done to order
And finally, the Baked Goods I made the mistake of not having Pie when I had my trip to Pie N Burger, but these baked goods looked so good, I just had to take some home with me!
* Carrot Cake: One of the spicest carrot cakes Ive had. Wonderful cream cheese frosting dusted with little bits of walnut. Moist and NOT dense. It went absolutely WONDERFUL with coffee.
* Lemon Bar: Yeah, I just had to get one It was darn near perfect! Curd was flavorful and lemony, ever so slightly browned on top signifying a true home baked bar and the crust was a crumbly short bread. Not exactly as snappy as I like it, but still had wonderful body and great flavor.
Bake N Broil is the type of place I wish I had closer to home. It is a TRUE great neighborhood joint with great food, made with care and its VERY well priced!! Kind like the stuff I make at home to begin with! Plus, The portions are not stingy and the menu is wide so you can have your burger one day and a albacore salad (with dressing on the side) the next! But most of all having regular access to those cakes and pies If anything, those wonderful goodies are going to be the thing to keep me coming back! :)