OK, we did it!!! Six stops in six hours.
1. Hot Dog Johnny's in Buttzville. Route 46 was the old highway to New York from Northern PA and it's very charming in spots---as if time stood still. Johnny's is certainly part of that. The dogs weren't anything special, but the atmosphere makes the difference. I would stop by again in the warmer weather. Went with the Birch Beer, instead of the buttermilk. It was OK too.
2. Jimmy Buff's, North Arlington. Hot dogs and potatoes swimming in the same oil/grease are thrown inside what appears to be an Italian pita. Being a BIG fan of Italian sandwiches, I couldn't wait. I liked the dog and the bread, but didn't quite understand what the fuss was all about. All the ingredients were very good (especially the potatoes), but the combination threw me. Maybe we should have ordered two dogs inside the bun?? Very filling.
3. Dickie Dee's, Newark. Great counter service. This Italian dog was even oiler. A smaller bun then Buff's, but still not enough meat for me. Was I biting it in the wrong spots and not getting the special blend? Should I have ordered a double? By this point we were getting stuffed.
4. Rutt's Hut, Clifton. Excellent dogs!!! The ripper bursts with flavor on every bite and the relish is exceptional. Good onion rings. (Those wet cheeseburgers looked really good too).
5. Hot Grill, Clifton. Another ripper covered with Texas Weiner sauce. The dog was very good and the sauce packed a major punch---very "onion-y". Quite good.
6. Libby's, Paterson. Now, stuffed beyond belief, we could barely contemplate lifting the Texas Weiners into our mouths, but thankfully we did. Great fried dogs...and exceptional chili sauce. There was quite a bit of nutmeg or something like it in the sauce (and in the splendid gravy fries too). I was reminded of Cincinnati chili.
So, the winners are Libby's and Rutt's for me. My North Jersey friend is going with Libby's and Dickie Dee's.
Now, pass the Pepto Bismol!!!!
Updated 4 hours ago | 50
Updated 39 minutes ago | 17
Updated 6 days ago | 22
Updated 3 days ago | 27
Updated 19 days ago | 25