A few friends and I are venturing to Philadelphia for a few nights at the end of the month (Dec 29-31). We live in the DC area, in case that impacts your suggestions.
A few requests:
1. We're planning on spending a lot of our daylight hours at museums (definitely Philadelphia Museum of Art and the Mutter Museum, possibly the Rodin Museum or the Barnes Foundation if we still have more steam). They are all clustered in the same general area of town - are there any standout places for lunch around there?
2. What are the best places for breakfast around town? Bakeries in particular are of interest - any amazing baked goods we shouldn't miss?
3. We're staying a few blocks southeast of Rittenhouse Square (roughly Pine & 16th). Where are the best coffee spots in the area? Bars? Anything else we shouldn't skip nearby?
4. I've already booked Vernick for our more expensive, celebratory dinner. For the other night, I'm thinking maybe Villa di Roma for old school Italian or V Street for something a little lighter after the marathon eating of the holiday season. Or maybe I should consider something else?
5. What are the best neighborhoods for wandering/people watching/window shopping? Any food or drink must haves in those neighborhoods?
6. I'm thinking John's Roast Pork is a good bet for both roast pork sandwiches and cheesesteaks - would love board opinions on this.
Thanks in advance! I will be sure to report back with where we go and how we like it.