here's something I got that is a bit alarming - fortunately, I've been using glass over ceramic ware for years but I had no idea that the exposure was so high.....
Hi, something of interest for all of us . This includes styrophone.
Plastic and the Microwave
It is amazing what a curious student can learn...
As a seventh grade student, Claire Nelson learned that
di(ethylhexyl)adepateDEHA), considered a carcinogen, is found in
plastic wrap. She also learned that the FDA had never studied
effect of microwave cooking on plastic-wrapped food. Claire
to wonder: "Can cancer-causing particles seep into food covered
with household plastic wrap while it is being microwaved?"
Three years later, with encouragement from her high school
teacher, Claire had an idea for studying the effect of microwave
radiation on plastic-wrapped food, but she did not have the
Eventually, Jon Wilkes at the National Center for Toxicological
Research in Jefferson, Arkansas, agreed to help her. The
center, which is affiliated with the FDA, let her use its
facilities to perform her experiments, which involved
plastic wrap in virgin olive oil. Claire tested four different
plastic wraps and "found not just the carcinogens but also
xenoestrogen was migrating [into the oil]...." Xenoestrogens are
linked to low sperm counts in men and to breast cancer in women.
Throughout her junior and senior years, Claire made a couple of
trips each week to the research center, which was 25 miles from
home, to work on her experiment.
An article in Options reported that "her analysis found that
was migrating into the oil at between 200 parts and 500 parts
The FDA standard is 0.05 parts per billion."
Her summarized results have been published in science journals.
Claire Nelson received the American Chemical Society's top
prize for students during her junior year and fourth place at
International Science and Engineering Fair (Fort Worth, Texas)
"Carcinogens-At 10,000,000 Times FDA Limits" Options May 2000.
Published by People Against Cancer, 515-972-4444
On Channel 2 (Huntsville, AL) this morning they had a Dr. Edward
Fujimoto from Castle Hospital on the program. He is the manager
the Wellness Program at the hospital. He was talking about
and how bad they are for us. He said that we should not be
our food in the Microwave using plastic containers This applies
foods that contain fat. He said that the combination of fat,
heat and plastics releases dioxins into the food and ultimately
into the cells of the body. Dioxins are carcinogens and highly
toxic to the cells of our bodies.
Instead, he recommends using glass, Corning Ware, or ceramic
containers for heating food. You get the same results without
dioxins. So such things as TV dinners, instant raimin and soups,
etc., should be removed from the container and heated in
else. Paper isn't bad but you don't know what is in the paper
safer to use tempered glass, Corning Ware,etc.
He said we might remember when some of the fast food restaurants
moved away from the foam containers to paper. The dioxin problem
one of the reasons.
To add to this: Saran wrap placed over foods as they are nuked,
with the high heat, actually drips poisonous toxins into the
Use a paper towel!!