Felt I had to report on my recent trip even though Coz is not really a food town, because I could not find any other posts on Coz here when I was looking. The main purpose of my trip was diving and I am not a big fan of Mexican food. Having said that, had a few nice meals in Coz, especially seafood since it is so fresh there. The best places I tried were:
1. Conchita del Caribe (65th Ave, between Calle 21 and 23)
- lunch only (until 5, I think). I had shrimp ceviche, which came in a large plate, much too big of an appetiser for one (best shared), 85 pesos for a medium. For my main I had fish fillets in garlic sauce, very fresh (115 pesos). I saw people having fried whole fishes, head on, that they chose from a bucket of live fish. I'm down with that.
2. Especias (10th Ave at Calle 5)
- dinner only, 5-10 pm, Monday to Saturday. I had fish in a cilantro-garlic sauce, again very fresh but I think I prefer the garlic sauce (120 pesos). I am also told their crab fingers and Thai-style spicy shrimp are good altho I did not try those.
3. Philippine Restaurant (in the Hotel Barracuda building, south of Puerta Maya where the Carnival cruise ships come in)
- seems like lunch only. As far as my limited experience goes, authentic Philippino food. I loved the Pancit Beehoon (fried vermicelli) even tho it had spam in it (but then I love spam). Fried rice was fantastic. (both $8)
4. Carnitas Uruapan (10th Ave at Calle 1)
- the only taco place I tried. Decent, but not La Super Rica. I had one pork and one beef taco. The pork was sort of like un-crispy, un-cured bacon. Two tacos and two delicious Penafiel apple sodas set me back $4.
I also tried La Choza, billed as traditional Mayan cuisine, and Morena, which was one of the few places open Sunday, and thought they were so-so. I stayed at the Caribe Blu hotel and had breakfast and some lunches there. Breakfast was unbearable, only eaten because I cannot dive on an empty stomach. Lunch was ok. (each about $4-5 per meal)