I have been to the Counter in Santa Monica twice now, and I am sad to say I've been disappointed both times. I was so intrigued by the concept, and was excited by all the posts I'd read, so.... too bad I didn't care for it. Some of the problems...
- poor service - I almost didn't leave a tip, but felt sorry for the young waitress
- kind of a cold feel inside with all the sleek decor
- 80's music blasting away too loud, especially at 3 in the afternoon when the place is half empty, it felt odd
- Fries were like what you'd get in a cafeteria, and did not come with the burger, which I think I'd prefer. Pickle chips also a disappointment - too thick, and they tasted like they'd been refried after they'd once grown cold.
- The burgers. They are just too sloppy to eat. I ordered a 1/3 burger with grilled onions, cheddar, and english muffin, which sounded like a great combo to me. But I ended up having to eat it with a fork and knife, which was difficult because it was served on a plate with holes in the bottom and wax paper.
So...for burgers I'll stick to Fatburger and In N Out. Costs less, better atmosphere (Fatburger has a great jukebox,) better service (especially at In N Out,) and great, consistent burgers. And of course... how good are Fat Fries?
And as for that little mini mall at 29th and Ocean Park, anyone else like Fast Taco?