left Boston 2005 and was back for the weekend. Visited some old favourites.
1. muqueca for lunch. Has moved to new bigger location. Fried plantain is good as always. Fish muqueca is delicious but quite heavy on salt. Seafood casserole is good too but much greasier than I remembered. Prices have gone up quite a bit.
2. Infusion tea spa. Bubble tea still great.
3. Bakery next to infusion. Yam cake dessert. Good stuff.
4. Shanghai gate. Chef is still the same! Ordered triple delight appetiser, lion meatball, golden ribs, and bear curd wrap meat soup. Everything is tasty. Ribs are a tad dry, there's msg in everything but not too heavy. Appetiser is too salty. Meatball is really tender. Prices are, gulp, the same as in 2005!
5. Flour cafe for breakfast. New mass ave location! They don't have twice baked brioche. Sob. Their Croissants are still probably the only ones that taste like, ..., croissants in France. scones are great.
6. Shangri-la for brunch. Salty soy milk has not phase separated enough. I added more vinegar to no avail. Soft tofu curd is lukewarm... Other dishes, steamed intestines, are full of msg so much so that I can't eat it. I reviewed this place many years ago. Still think it's the top three Taiwanese brunch in Boston but my tolerance for msg must have gone down.
7. Jo jo Taipei for dinner. Stinky tofu hotpot and the special squash with fungus. Both were pretty good. Almost all tables have a stinky tofu hotpot. Pretty authentic rendition.
All in all, a good trip. However, I am a bit underwhelmed and hope to get suggestions from you for my trip back again next week (6 days) My expectations have changed too since I have lived in Seattle, ny, and Taiwan in the past few years. Will be living in Asia (china, korea, singapore) the next few years so am not looking for Asian recommendations. Am very partial to ethnic food so south American (not Mexican) eastern/western European (not French or Italian), middle eastern are all good. Will for example, plan to visit Manchu picchu, sultan kitchen, etc.
Thanks a lot in advance fir your help!