General Discussion

US Chinglish


General Discussion 6

US Chinglish

julie idemoto | Feb 14, 2000 07:05 AM

Anyone know what the real equivalents are for "E-mein" and "cake noodles" as they are sold in the US, especially in Honolulu??

I speak Chinese, but cannot grasp either. There is "i-mian" in Mandarin, but this just means "Italian Noodle" in general...usually used for SPAGHETTI actually.

I cannot find anything like "cake noodle" in either Mandarin or Cantonese. There is a dish in Shanghai "liang huang mian" (double gold noodle/side) which seemed similar, in taste if not in name.

On a similar note, anyone know the kanji for li hing mui?? Mui is obviously "plum", but "li hing" loses me. There is a "chen pi mei" in Mandarin; is li hing just a US creation??

Finally, what's the deal on "Suan La Chao Chow" (xuanle chaoshou, I and sour wonton soup). I see this EXCELLENT dish in one Boston restaurant -- and one more in the suburbs -- and yet noone chinese has ever heard of it. Even armed with the kanji, I cannot find it in LA or SF chinatowns, for example.

After 6 full months of investigation, a linguistics prof in Hong Kong informed me that chaoshou -- lit. "folded arms" -- was a regional term for wontons/gyoza/gau gee/suijiao. And yet, she too, had never heard of it in the "suan la" context.

Anyway, I didn't mean to get into a linguistics discussion -- I was hoping rather that someone would recognize this soup well enough to steer me towards something SIMILAR which I could find elsewhere. Even "hot and sour wonton" didn't strike a chord in the many many restaurants I tried (again, mostly LA & SF).

Want to stay up to date with this post?

Recommended From Chowhound