Holiday Sweepstakes: You Could Win* a Hammered Copper Cooking Set and More Enter the Giveaway

Follow us:

Discover the unexpected in the Bay Area. Explore All of SF Bay Area
Restaurants & Bars 11

Chinese Cuts of Meat

jzc | Jan 8, 201502:22 PM

I was wondering if anyone knew what the English name for the Chinese cut of beef used in beef stew. Most people say brisket, but I want to know the name of the cut that has the gristle?? attached. (I think that's what it's called in English.) When I buy stew meat in Chinatown, it's a small slab that has this beige layer in between meat and fat. It's kind of elacticky and sometimes all you can see if the beige part. When I go to buy it I would ask for a piece for more or less of the mok (beige layer). I know it comes in the cryovac packages from the slaughterhouse so there must be an English name for it. I want to see if I can get this cut when I direct buy or through a CSA but can't since I don't know what to call this.


Want to stay up to date with this post? Sign Up Now ›
Log In or Sign Up to comment

Recommended from Chowhound

Catch up on the latest activity across all community discussions.
View latest discussions