Saturday morning, a dozen cheesehounds got the jump on celebrating Windys 40th birthday (until she could join us later in the afternoon) with a full day touring West Sonoma County's cheese-laden deliciousness. Despite the heat of this scorcher of a day, the group pressed ahead and managed to make the scheduled tours on time, squeezing in a few bonus stops too. The itinerary is provided below and I ask that the participants post their impressions and highlights.
My most memorable moments:
* Inhaling the concentrated and dizzying scent of dozens of rounds of dry jack in Spring Hills aging room
* Petting a four-week old Jersey calf
* Watching their faces as some hounds had their first fresh cheese curds
* Biting into a juicy, sweet wedge of Gravenstein apple spread with lemon-flavored quark
* Introducing our NY and Boston ex-pat hounds to Santa Rosas NY Pie and getting the nod of approval
* Soaking in the panoramic vista at Iron Horse
* Presenting Windy with the sampler of our four pizzas left over from lunch, and her unabashed reaction to grab a slice of plain cheese pie and immediately chomp on it
* Listening to Patty at Bodega Goat Cheese relate the challenges of establishing a sustainable agriculture base for the dairy
* Nibbling on Joseph Schmidt truffles courtesy of Bodega Goat Cheese
WINDYRAMA: The Power of Cheese
Spring Hill Cheese
4235 Spring Hill Rd
9:45AM Arrive Spring Hill
10:45AM Depart Spring Hill
Joe Matos Cheese Factory
3669 Llano Road
Santa Rosa 95407
11:15AM Arrive Joe Matos Cheese Factory
11:35AM Depart Joe Matos
New York Pizzeria
(aka I Love NY Pie)
65 Brookwood Ave, at 4th
Santa Rosa 95404
707 52 NYPIE (526-9743)
11:55AM Arrive NY Pizza (parking lot on Brookwood)
1:00PM Depart NY Pie
Iron Horse Vineyards
9786 Ross Station Rd
1:20PM Arrive Iron Horse
2:45PM Depart Iron Horse
Bonus visits to Andys Produce in
Sebastopol, Sebastopol Fine Wine, and Screaming Mimis for ice cream (6902 Sebastopol Ave.)
Bodega Goat Cheese
1379 Tannery Creek Road
(off Salmon Creek Road)
Entering the sleepy town
of Bodega (extra points if you know what famous movie was filmed here) from the
Bodega Hwy, just past the General Store, turn right on Salmon Creek Road. It
will turn sharply left, but continue straight on Tannery Creek Road (marked with No Outlet sign). Go uphill
to the third property on the left.
3:15PM Arrive Bodega Goat Cheese
4:45PM Depart Bodega Goat Cheese
5:30PM Arrive in Petaluma. Options of visiting historic downtown, Trader Joes,or napping before dinner. If we finish early before 5PM, the Saturday Farmers Market will still be on in Walnut Park.
by Greg Stegeman | Barbecue sauce is a blanket term that doesn't necessarily do justice to all the regional styles of...
by Joey Skladany | As a self-proclaimed sauce connoisseur and fan of barbecue varieties specifically, I was more than...
Sign up for our newsletter to receive the latest tips, tricks, recipes and more, sent twice a week.