My boyfriend and I will be visiting San Francisco at the end of October and I could not be more excited. We're staying in Nob Hill (it's not what you think, I just get a good discount at one of the hotels) but are happy to venture to any area.
Note: I'm a big cook and will eat pretty much anything but he's allergic to shellfish and, sadly, not so big on the Vietnamese cuisine.
I'm looking for some advice on any of the following:
1. Delicious "value" meals - anything up to $20 a plate (although some $15 entree joints would certainly be appreciated)
2. Best place to grab our morning coffee and a bite (preferably somewhere in Nob Hill for this)
3. Best, not to be missed ice cream place.
4. Best bars for a couple to hang out and drink beers without feeling cheesy
5. To go with the above, best hangover breakfast
Also, not exactly food related but what's the deal with the tenderloin? I don't tend to be phased by homeless people or prostitutes, are we really in some sort of grave danger at a restaurant or bar here?