Back on the road later this month and I hope to revisit some of the state's best BBQ. Some quick thoughts from prior visits:
1. Kreuz: Still the king, esp. on the shoulder clod.
2. Smitty's: Disappointed when I visited them in 2000, but their brisket outpointed Kreuz on my last visit, so I may have to give it another visit.
3. Chisholm Trail: I keep reading how it's where the locals go, but by the time I've seen it, I'm already full!
1. City Market: Ribs A+, brisket and links a shade behind.
1. Louie Mueller: Different than the Lockhart-Luling cuts, but very good nonetheless, I'm also thinking about trying John's place in Austin
2. Crosstown BBQ (Elgin): I found this a lot better than Southside.
3. Cooper's (Llano). Texas Monthly was right--it's overrated.
Any other good places within an hour of Austin to go looking for?