Holiday Sweepstakes: You Could Win* a KitchenAid 7-Qt. Pro Line Stand Mixer and More! Enter the Giveaway

Follow us:

+
Restaurants & Bars 4

Central Maine's Best; Red Barn rt201 Augusta

mainefun40 | Jan 18, 201106:59 AM

Shrimp season is well under way now and so, on a whim, my wife and I went to The Red Barn last night and had --- Fried Shrimp. We had the snack and chose the onion rings; you could have a dinner which is a bigger portion with a roll or simply the shrimp in various sizes without fries or rings.
First, the service is friendly and fast. Even if there's a big line, it moves quickly and the kitchen is fast.

Next, the seating is easy. The Red Barn continues to expand as demand for seating grows.

Then, the food. Piping hot out of the kitchen, fried perfectly with just enough batter with ocean fresh shrimp and fresh cut wide onion rings, we could not have been happier.

We enjoy the Red Barn's food whenever we eat there, and whatever seafood you might try there is bound to be fresh and cooked nicely 98% of the time --(the other 2% is good but not perfect).

The other wonderful thing about last night's dinner was that the owners of the Red Barn are community spirited. All food and staff time were donated to a renovation project for a historic Augusta theater. For 2 hours, they served great food for a community cause.

The Red Barn is always busy, open every day (closes at 2 on Mondays) and its worth stopping if you're passing through and worth a side trip if you're within 25 miles. Augusta's food scene is often found a bit lacking but this locally owned gem has been going strong and growing since it started more than 25 years ago. The reason is the quality.

And, try their seafood chowder or stew; its full of seafood with an excellent base.

Want to stay up to date with this post? Sign Up Now ›

Recommended from Chowhound

Catch up on the latest activity across all community discussions.
View latest discussions