In Rome for Holy Week and Easter week 2010, I’m seeking the Holy Grail of Spaghetti Carbonara (or Carbonara with another pasta other than spaghetti). I’ve surveyed the earlier posts:
In a Chowhound March 2007 post, these places were commended by Chowhounders for their Carbonara:
1. La Rampa just below the Spanish Steps
2. Hostaria Nerone MFANT
3. “Al Moro can usually guarantee a good carbonara. ‘Spaghetti al moro’ is carbonara with red instead of black pepper, and they do have a good touch.” MFANT
4. Abruzzi off the Piazza SS. Apostoli off the Corso
5. Trattoria Da Oio a Casa Mia on the Via Galvani. It is eggier and pepperier.
In a Chowhound January 2009 post these places were commended by Chowhounders for their Carbonara:
6. La Carbonara [by report, uses another pasta other than spaghetti]
7. Armando al Pantheon
2. Osteria Nerone,
8. Sora Margherita
9. AL GRAPPOLO D'ORO @ porta pia www.algrappolodoro.it
10. "Perilli" in Testaccio
11. Da Gino
12. Augustarello in Testaccio
13 “Last year, Gambero Rosso named Roscioli's as the best carbonara in Rome” [questioned by by one Chowhounder]
14. FELICE in Testaccio [by rumor and report, the owner died recently. True?]
15. Da Danilo via Petrarca
Now a year has passed and restaurants change quickly. So, two questions:
1. Are these places above still serving praiseworthy carbonara? The best in Rome?
2. Any other places? New places since Jan 2009? The best in Rome?
Chowhound has proven to be very, very valuable to me over the years. My thanks beforehand and best wishes for a delicious New Year!
Updated 1 year ago | 2
Updated 2 months ago | 10
Updated 4 days ago | 44
Updated 4 hours ago | 22
Updated 14 days ago | 35