Yesterday I canned sliced peaches for the first time. I've been canning jams for a few years and have never had a sealing problem.
I followed Ball instructions for the peaches (except I quartered rather than halved the peaches) exactly, I think, but a few strange things happened.
1. I had way too many peaches. The recipe said I needed 8-12 lbs for eight pint jars. I probably only used 6 pounds and I stuffed the peaches in while avoiding crushing them. Now at the tail end there's about 1/5 of space at the bottom of the jars with just syrup. The peaches are floating.
2. When I removed the jars after processing, several of the seals were a bit loose. Slightly loose, like I could tap the lid slightly and it would recenter immediately.
3. All but two of the jars got tight seals within about 20 minutes after processing (I'm not sure if any of these are the same ones that needed a tap as described in #2). The two that didn't seal yesterday were still unsealed this morning, so I put them in the fridge. They immediately sealed once in the fridge!
So mostly I'm wondering:
- Why are the peaches floating?
- Do I need to keep those two jars in the fridge?
- Do I need to put the rest in the fridge due to my "tapping" in number 2 or the floating or anything?
Thanks for any help, I hope I can improve on my whole-fruit canning!