This isn't a discussion but I was guided here to post a recipe. I made a Tres Leches cake & wanted a really Mexican-style frosting for it. Couldn't find anything inspiring so I made up my own, adapting the recipe for the hot drink Cafe de Olla. It came out really well, so i'm sharing it:
Cafe de Olla Frosting
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon powder
- 1 teaspoon quality instant coffee crystals (beaten very well in 2 teaspoons water)
- 1/2 cup pulverized Mexican chocolate ( from the tablets; such as Abuelito or Ibarra brand)
- 1/2 cup pulverized piloncillo (Mexican brown sugar)
- 3/4 stick cold butter
- 4 ounces cream cheese; softened
- powdered sugar
- canned, evaporated milk
* Note: no specific amounts for evaporated milk & powdered sugar. You'll use enough to make frosting proper spreading consistency.
Put all ingredients except powdered sugar and evaporated milk in a large bowl. Add 3 teaspoons evaporated milk, to start. With an electric mixer, blend until well mixed. Start adding powdered sugar, a little at a time, alternately with evaporated milk ( 1 teaspoon at a time), mixing well after each addition, until frosting is fluffy & the right spreading consistency. Hope you enjoy it.