The bugs in rice thread got me thinking about a large plastic tub of dried porcini mushrooms I bought at Costco a while ago. They LOOK fine...at first. But then, when you soak them, the little bits that are left in the bottom of the soaking water turn out to be, not sand or dirt (as one might expect) but dried worms. I have cooked my share of fresh porcini over the years and I know how hard it is to find porcini without any worms in them at all - so I understand they are sort of part of the whole mushroom process. And furthermore, in the dried porcini the worms are thoroughly dead and dried. But still. I find it just a tad disturbing. So I use the mushrooms, but strain the liquid very well before adding to the recipe. But I can't help thinking about worms when I eat the dish.
Am I being obsessive? Neurotic? Silly?