My partner and I are staying at Hotel Plaza Athenee near Central Park Zoo next week on someone else's dime - but our food budget is more along the lines of Motel 6 in the suburbs.
Do you fine folks have any recs for low-budget gems within walking distance? We are strong and happy hikers so walking a mile or two is fine. We appreciate any and all cuisines. Although we welcome all recs, we'd be especially excited about:
1) Great coffee
2) Stuff that's particularly fabulous in New York (pizza? bagels? local brews? There must be something less stereotypical - I feel so touristy now.)
3) Great coffee shop atmosphere
4) Places with lots of vegetables
5) Places with lots of gluten free options
6) Places frequented by other queer folks who also enjoy tasty foods/beverages
We have never been to NYC before so I apologize if this has been asked and answered in previous threads - I don't even really know what neighborhood that's considered.