I am arranging a brunch for 1:00 PM on a Sunday in October for 14 family members. Most of the party will be in the over-70/80 category, and are siblings who have not seen each other in years! Preference is for East Side in 50's or 60's, but could do 40's as well (for proximity to hotel). Here's the criteria:
1) must take reservations and be fairly assured of timely seating due to age and size of party
2) would like a place that offers fairly traditional brunch and lunch food to accomodate dietary needs and preferences of diverse party
3) especially important is that the restaurant not be in the noisy category so these seniors can hear each other.
4) also important is that the restaurant have comfortable seating for the needs of these seniors.
5) great service would be a big plus, since you know how annoying it is to be with a large party and not have the proper attention.
I've thought of Norma's and have been scared off by some of the negative reviews here and elsewhere (and seems too contrived in their food offerings for this crowd). Deli's are out because of the size of the party, and the noise level of deli's. Perhaps a hotel restaurant?
I welcome any suggestions you have. By the way, this same group went to Tavern On The Green 5 years ago and liked it, but want to do something different.