Not About Food

bringing back jamon


Not About Food 12

bringing back jamon

dilemmalyn | May 2, 2011 02:16 PM

I've searched this board and found old results. Is it still true that you cannot bring back jamon from Spain? I have found these pages which indicate that it is okay to bring back ham for "personal consumption" although I would find it hard to consume 50 pounds of jamon...

And if it's still illegal, is it less risky to pack some in my check in, or to carry it on my person? I'm landing at LAX, if that matters. Yes I'm aware of the possibility of a $300 fine.

Products for Personal Consumption

Federal inspection regulations permit the entry of small amounts of meat, poultry or egg products for personal consumption 9 CFR, Part 327.16, 381.207, and 590.960. The amount of a personal consumption shipment cannot exceed 50 pounds for meat, poultry, or dried egg products and 30 pounds for liquid or frozen egg products. The products must be for personal use only and cannot be sold or distributed in U.S. commerce.

Such products are exempt from FSIS import regulation, but they are subject to Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service (APHIS) animal health requirements. These requirements change frequently, and travelers should contact APHIS for up-to-date information by visiting the website or calling (301) 734-7830.

All travelers entering the United States are required todeclare any products of animal origin (including soup or soup products) they may be carrying. The declaration must cover all items carried in checked baggage, carry-on luggage, or in a vehicle. U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) agriculture specialists at the ports of entry will examine the items and determine if they meet the entry requirements of the United States. Additional information on bringing agricultural products into the United States is available from CBP.

Want to stay up to date with this post?

Recommended From Chowhound